Telecom domain overview
I had the pleasure of attending a talk on telecom domain by Tech Mahindra veteran, Utkarsh Kikani on the 11th April, 2009.
- It started in 1876
- 80’s and 90’s saw a lot of churn
- 21st century is seeing new phenomenon
- It is a $2+ Trillion worldwide market
- N.America and Asia Pacific are $500 million each
- It is expected to grow at 5% until 2012, which is pretty good considering current economic situation
Once upon a time
- The telecommunication has evolved from semaphore to telephone in 1876
- A blind woman, named MaBel Hubbard was the inspiration for Graham Bell.
- National carriers took over next.
- AT&T – American Telecom and Telegraph
- BT – British Telecom
- Strong in-house R&D, circuit-switched and high entry barrier were characteristics
Winds of Change
- New medium like wireless appeared
- Computers and packet-switched became norm
- Demand for data services grew
The boil and churn
- AT&T and Bell was broken
- Internet took a lot of traction
- VAS, Service provider and lot of new entities emerged
Overall, it was a great event for telecom professionals, who are mainly into programming, as it provided a business perspective. It was a whirlwind tour in 1 hour of a course Mr.Kikani teaches at telecom MBA college in Pune.