Consider this fact: There are 18,000 pearl dealers in Hyderabad. But, only 3 are present in web searches. Given the fact that there are 125M internet users and 70M mobile internet users in India, there is a missed opportunity for these businesses.
- Users: According to eMarketer reports, emerging economies saw 88% growth in internet user. There are 70M mobile internet users, which represents 60% of total internet users. In 2015, these figures will be 300M and 180M respectively. These users are moving their times from other media like TV and newspaper to mobile and internet now constituting 30% of their media consumption on an average.
- eCommerce opportunity of India will be 40B representing 6x growth over current numbers. 80% of eCommerce is projected to be travel. While, only 1/10 of total online users buy online, it will jump to 1/3 in 2015.
- Habits: On internet, a user has 7hr purchase decision time, which is only 1hr on mobiles for categories like restaurant etc.
- With growth rate of 463% between Q1, 2011 and Q1, 2012, India is among the world’s fastest growing countries in terms of mobile app sessions. Also, with increasing smartphone adoption (smartphones are expected to be ~15% of total mobile device sales in 2012, doubling from 2011), India is emerging as a potential target market for mobile apps.
Today there are almost 2 billion Internet users worldwide. In 2000, there were 361 million worldwide. But go back even farther in time and you’ll find out that back in 1995, the Internet had a worldwide user base of less than 40 million.
- The Internet user base of today is 50 times larger than it was in 1995.
- Facebook today is 15 times larger than the entire Internet was in 1995.
Some businesses enabled by internet to compete with big businesses having big marketing budget.
- Dollar Shave Club started in Jan 2011. It raised $9.8 million in Oct 2012for international expansion. A true internet company ready to disrupt gillettes and Bics Here’s the video:
- Red Tomato Pizza has come up with VIP Fridge Magnet to revolutionize home delivery of pizza. When hunger strikes, Red Tomato Pizza to rescue.
Some cool Google products are:
- Google Business Photo – Philips Light Studio, Hyderabad has piloted this.
- Apps in Google Hangout – e.g. Cacoo lets you share diagrams.
- Google+ Events leaves any event site to dust with part mode picture sharing letting attendees post and share pictures seamlessly.
- OCR and image search is baked into Google Drive.
पिछले साल, भारतीय रिजर्व बैंक (भारतीय रिजर्व बैंक) को मंजूरी दे दी बैंकों BCS व्यापार (संवाददाता) के रूप में लाभ के लिए कंपनियों को नियुक्त करने और यह एक दूरसंचार अंतरिक्ष में सबसे गरम बहस के बंद कर दिया है – टेल्को एक बैंक के रूप में सेवा करना चाहिए (और इसके विपरीत) . भारत, भारत के सबसे बड़े वाणिज्यिक बैंक स्टेट बैंक, भारती एयरटेल और एक संयुक्त उपक्रम (जेवी) को भारत के लाखों लोगों के लिए उपलब्ध unbanked बैंकिंग सेवाओं बनाने के समझौते में प्रवेश किया है. नवगठित इकाई, राज्य बैंक की ताकत और एयरटेल के मोबाइल टेलीफोनी की शक्ति का उपयोग करने के लिए बैंकिंग और वित्तीय सेवा क्षेत्र के लिए मूल्य जोड़ने जाएगा और आर्थिक रूप से लाखों देश में बाहर रखा करने के लिए अपनी आजीविका और जीवन की गुणवत्ता बढ़ाने के लिए सशक्त. संयुक्त उद्यम unbanked और अन्य क्षेत्रों में नागरिकों के लिए सस्ती कीमत पर ई.पू. (यानी बिजनेस संवाददाता) भारतीय स्टेट बैंक और प्रस्ताव बैंकिंग उत्पादों और सेवाओं में से एक बन जाएगा. व्यापार संवाददाता के रूप जेवी चरणबद्ध तरीके से पूरे भारत में ग्राहक सेवा अंक (सी एस पी) के रूप में एयरटेल के खुदरा विक्रेताओं संलग्न है. इस के साथ, मौजूदा और नए एयरटेल मोबाइल ग्राहकों के लिए इन दुकानों और खुले नए एसबीआई बैंक खातों और अन्य बैंकिंग उत्पादों और सेवाओं CSPs पर उपलब्ध का लाभ उठाने के यात्रा करने में सक्षम हो जाएगा. इसके अतिरिक्त, मौजूदा भारतीय स्टेट बैंक ग्राहकों को भी इन दुकानों पर सर्विस्ड मिल जाएगा.
Eko Financial Services
Eko India Financial Services Pvt Ltd is targeting unbanked rural and urban population. I heard about it first, during the visit of Bill Gates a couple of years ago. I read about it and was impressed with what they are trying to do. Founded by a BIT, Mesra alum, Abhishek Sinha, it tied up with SBI to provide mini savings account to its customers. If you go through its presentation below, you’ll be amazed at the way they have used ubiquitous mobile phone for extending the reach. In late 2009 and into 2010, Eko has begun to grow substantially rising to nearly 50,000 clients by March 2010 a ten fold increase over the quarter.
Now it has more partners, ICICI Bank and Bhart AXA Life. They have 900 centers currently and plan on increasing it to 20,000 more points by end of 2011. Their funding history:
- 2007 – $0.5 million by friends and families
- March 2009 – Grant funding of $1.78 million from CGAP Technology Program which is housed within the World Bank and co-funded by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Sep 30, 2010; Dec 31, 2010 and April 30, 2011 – Unknown from Colorado’s 4B Capital Fund A for 30% stake
CGAP – supported Eko.
[Update: Nov 2015] You may go to one of several VLE in your locality obtained from MahaOnline to get your birth certificate. Not only that, citizens can obtain various useful documents such as 7/12 Extract, Residence Certificate, caste certificate etc. through these Maha-E-Seva centers. Source – Times of India news of Sep 10.
[Update: Apr 2012] The online system is completely broken for citizens. Even though decentralization was done in 2009 and 14 ward offices were supposed to ease Kasba Peth’s burden, the same is not effective from my personal experience.
[Update: May 2011] According to Times of India report: Citizens have said that the status of complaint does not change for months, on the online redressal system once it is forwarded to the departments concerned. I have used http://punecorporation.org/pmcwebn/ptax/ptaxhome.asp to pay my property tax. They have a demo for the same as well. There is a lot of utility on PMC corporation site, but most are non0fucntional, incl online birth certificate. PMC has claimed since May 2008, that online birth certificate is possible.
[Update: March 2011] The site has not been accessible for a couple of years now. So, I decided to file a complaint at PMC e-governance site. They have given me a complaint number. I was quite impressed actually. I immediately got an SMS and they mentioned GRS helpline number – (020) 6634 4203.
Complaint about :Statistic & Computer
Complaint Description :http://punecorporation.org:8888/onlineassesment/faces/property/PrintCertificates.jspx is not accessible.
Resolution time : 2 days
Date of Registration :3/11/2011 8:23:52 AM
Complaint assigned to :Vishwanath Sabani
Ward Office number :25501000
Ward Office address: Pune Municipal Corporation, Shivaji Nagar, Pune.
[end of Updates]
According to Pune Municipal document, it is compulsory register birth and death within 21 days. Pune Municipal Corporation has improved it site for birth certificate. Now you
can can not easily print birth certificate, even though the eGovernance report says so.
Following details are required.
- Normal & Delayed Registration
- Child Details – Gender, DOB, Time, Weight, Name, Birth Place etc.
- Parent Details – Name, Address, Qualification, Occupation
- Delivery Method, Informant Details, Attachments in case of delayed registrations
The Income Tax Department has put on its website the list of income tax refunds of all salary tax payers which could not be sent to the concerned persons for want of correct address.
Salary taxpayers who have not received refunds for assessment years 2003-4 to 2006-7 can click on the link below and query using the PAN number and assessment year whether any refund due to them has been returned undelivered from the menu `undelivered salary refund management system’. If any refund has been returned undelivered due to change in address, then the taxpayer can enter the present address and the refund will be sent to the taxpayer at the new address.
The link to the website is as under:
Please pass this to your friends, colleagues and clients – this could be of great help / use to them.