Consider this fact: There are 18,000 pearl dealers in Hyderabad. But, only 3 are present in web searches. Given the fact that there are 125M internet users and 70M mobile internet users in India, there is a missed opportunity for these businesses.
- Users: According to eMarketer reports, emerging economies saw 88% growth in internet user. There are 70M mobile internet users, which represents 60% of total internet users. In 2015, these figures will be 300M and 180M respectively. These users are moving their times from other media like TV and newspaper to mobile and internet now constituting 30% of their media consumption on an average.
- eCommerce opportunity of India will be 40B representing 6x growth over current numbers. 80% of eCommerce is projected to be travel. While, only 1/10 of total online users buy online, it will jump to 1/3 in 2015.
- Habits: On internet, a user has 7hr purchase decision time, which is only 1hr on mobiles for categories like restaurant etc.
- With growth rate of 463% between Q1, 2011 and Q1, 2012, India is among the world’s fastest growing countries in terms of mobile app sessions. Also, with increasing smartphone adoption (smartphones are expected to be ~15% of total mobile device sales in 2012, doubling from 2011), India is emerging as a potential target market for mobile apps.
Today there are almost 2 billion Internet users worldwide. In 2000, there were 361 million worldwide. But go back even farther in time and you’ll find out that back in 1995, the Internet had a worldwide user base of less than 40 million.
- The Internet user base of today is 50 times larger than it was in 1995.
- Facebook today is 15 times larger than the entire Internet was in 1995.
Some businesses enabled by internet to compete with big businesses having big marketing budget.
- Dollar Shave Club started in Jan 2011. It raised $9.8 million in Oct 2012for international expansion. A true internet company ready to disrupt gillettes and Bics Here’s the video:
- Red Tomato Pizza has come up with VIP Fridge Magnet to revolutionize home delivery of pizza. When hunger strikes, Red Tomato Pizza to rescue.
Some cool Google products are:
- Google Business Photo – Philips Light Studio, Hyderabad has piloted this.
- Apps in Google Hangout – e.g. Cacoo lets you share diagrams.
- Google+ Events leaves any event site to dust with part mode picture sharing letting attendees post and share pictures seamlessly.
- OCR and image search is baked into Google Drive.
We are living in an age, where no organization is beyond reach of information leak agents. Wikileaks did not spare American government, military and diplomatic offices. Julian Assange got 341K documents, which his team mined to show inconvenient truth.
Change of approach
The security system of the corporates must switch from system-centric approach to information-centric.
|System Centric||Information Centric|
|Perimeter based security||People are the new perimeter|
|Transaction applications||Collaborative applications and social media|
|Structured data||Unstructured data|
|Centralized information||Distributed information|
|On-premise infrastructure||Virtual infrastructure and cloud|
Practical scenario – If you take a quick poll of corporate employee, if they use an open share without ACL (access control list)for easy access, a lot of them would say yes.
Security thefts have become more sophisticated, as the time has passed. So, the strategy has to use 3-pronged attack to prevent any data comprosmise.
Data at the core of the security controls
Users should be equipped with OTP (one-time password), certificates to authenticate correct user. Data must use all possibles methods of DLP (Data Leak Prevention).
Identity and information protection strategy
As a first step, the system administrator along with the domain guy needs to discover sensitive information flow and accesses. Then, put safeguard in place.
Storage endpoint needs to be put in DMZ (demiliterized zone).
Data Loss Policy
It is important to sensitize people about data theft at various places. E.g. an inadvertent user sends out email, the attachment can be checked and an alert can thrown. It might automatically encrypt the attachment. There should not be any productivity loss, because DLP is all about people.
Continuous Risk Reduction
Encrypting key files is an important step, but key management is an issue. If file still lands at wrong hands, we can make use of poison pill to destroy the file. There can be a timer for continued use of the file.
Asian paint case study – 5k employees, 30k shops. Android platform. ERP platform.
Successfactors – As big and as old a SAAS company as Salesforce. 15m users. 3500 customers >10 yrs in cloud.
Indus SAP user group – Manish Choksi, CIO Asian Paints Ltd. is the chairman. SIG on BI, industry auto, pharma launching soon, platform. Partner summit.
Steve Lucas – Executive VP & GM, DB & Technology. sap.com/rds Rapid deployment Service improves time for SAP deployment.
Paradigm shift: 85B apps in 2016. 8B population. Big data, real time, predictive. 7.5 ZB 90% video.
Social mobile panel
Niraj Athalye. Neelam Dhawan (HP)
Sentiment analysis, intention. Asian Painting will help consumer find the right painting contractor with the help of friends. People as media – socialcasting. Personalization of software.
Decision revolution – inform, align, adapt.
BI, EPM, GRC
- Query & reporting
- Data Discovery
- Predictive analysis
3d model from right hemisphere acquisition integrated into analytics. @atul_sap
Venkatesh. Building information culture by leveraging BI. Sap ECC, dealer business management. SAP is used in all joint ventures for collaboration and monitoring as well. Business analytics is a subset of BI. SIAM competitive data, and Commodity price of steel, benchmark. Business insights. IT maturity: supplier, enabled, IT led organization. Hubble telescope into business operations and performance.
Information maturity path
- Data analysis
Infrastructure efficiency, simpler management, built-in availability, greater agility
NIC HBA teaming
|Product||Front End||Back end||Database||Others|
LabJS, Modernizr, JSON-P, oEmbed
|Scala||Cassandra||Java, C, Python, Mustache templating language|
|JSP, Apache Coyote Web Server||Spring MVC, Linkedin spring, grails,||Oracle and MySQL||ActiveMQ for JMS, Lucene as a foundation for search, DWR, Jetty, Eh-cache, Quartz, Spring remoting.|
|FourSquare||scala(lift framework)||scalaAmazon S3 for hosting, /img/ folder which is served by nginx directly||MongoDB||load balancer(s): nginx/0.8.52Lift- A web framework written in scala.|
|Youtube||Python||psyco, a dynamic python->C compiler||MySQL|
Load Balancing: nginx in front of HAProxy
|Viddler||PHP, Python||Rails 2.x, ffmpeg/mencoder/x264lib, Java 1.6 / Spring / Hibernate / ehcache, ErlangAmazon EC2 and S3 for hosting||Mysql 5.0||Hadoop HDFS (distributed video source storage)
Nginx/Keepalived (Load balancers for all web traffic)
Wowza (RTMP video recording server)
Mediainfo(reporting video metadata)
Yamdi (metadata injector for flash videos)
|StackOverFlow||jQuery, ASP .NET||C#, Microsoft ASP.NET (version 4.0), ASP.NET MVC 3, Razor.||LINQ to SQL, some raw SQL||HAProxy (for load balancing), Bacula(for backup), Redis(caching layer)|
|Disqus||jQuery,EasyXDM, Sammy, Flot, Raphaël, JSHint||Python scripts, Django, Celery, South||PostgreSQL, memcached||HAProxy + heartbeat (Load balancing)|
Creates a basic folder structure of a Sencha mobile app. For detailed command overview, read the documentation.
Since a mobile app does’t have a domain, under whose context it runs, cross-domain security restrictions (aka same origin policy) don’t apply. For testing purposes in a desktop browser, you need to open browser with security disabled. For Chrome,
$open Chrome -args disable security
App.js – launch
Home.js – 40 icons built-in Ext.panel
Use config, less property, more method n events
Model in storage should be full class hierarchy – learnt it the hard way.
Newbie tip: Refresh and test in js coding. That way you can view impact of code changes immediately. If you make too many changes and something screws up, it is hard to get back to correct state without losing substantial work.
Theme is supported in sass file.
Dragging support is available in the framework itself. For charting, Sencha provides a mobile-friendly framework.
Sencha does not work with ICS because of webkit bug. Hopefully, it should be fixed in Android 4.1. It works ok, but sub-par in 2.2 and 2.3. On iOS platform, it is having some issues with certificate-signing, which should be fixed in next release coming out next quarter. Till then, Phonegap is the goto method for compiling into native IPA and APK files for submission into Apple AppStore and Android Play.
We talked about the latest app acquisition, instagram at an astronomical valuation by Facebook. As a hobby project, if one wants to build an MVP (Minimum Viable Product), Amazon EC2 will cost Rs 4,000 per month, which is costly. So there is a need of product, which provide service at usage, like the following:
- Onelineserver – Can somebody point out correct name?
- Limning – Can somebody point out correct name?
Talking of GoMo (Go Mobile) products , there is a service mooveup (Can somebody point out correct name?), which can crawl an old desktop site and produce a mobile- friendly site on the go. time to start building decent mobile apps in the hottest area, LBS.
Mobile Local Search is experiencing unprecedented growth in India and is poised for increased adoption in the years to come.
Globally, there 6B mobile subscribers. 1B out of which are smartphone users. We are seeing a proliferation of mobile apps. 80B apps were downloaded in year 2011. GPS is standard (97%). This is Fuelling demand for LBS technology and application. It is bringing about a paradigm shift. There is a greater demand than ever for serving relevant info based on location, be it biz listing, restaurants, reviews, events and what not. We are using mobile to shop, not just search for listings. 3 utmost important things with regard to LBS (Location Based Services) are performance, privacy and relevance.
- What performance means is to provide intuitive, fluid, and quick experience. Speed (3G, 4G) is increasing for mobile internet. 45% population is covered by 3G network. 150 countries have 3G adoption. Wifi is another ways of connecting. These high speeds enable dynamic and rich content to be delivered to mobiles. Still there are substantial users on Edge or 2G.
- Privacy – A user must be cognizant that they share location and what they want in return. There are operators, who misuse client’s location by flooding them with spam. An LBS needs to be very transparent with how they are using client data.
- Relevancy – Accurate. Evolve, constantly navigate. Easy to navigate on smartphone device. minimize time and cost. Contextual relevance – time of day. Search queries. Time of day, day of week, holiday. LBS now needs to go specific. Instead of just searching for restaurants, a user could be searching for pizza place. Getting recommendation for diff venue.
Poynt started in June 2008 as a Blackberry app in North America. It has rich listing and actions – Reserve a table, add to calendar, saving on smartphone for future reference. Local theatre, watch trailer. Actionable search experience. It continues to evolve based on billions of interactions. It is pushing itself into Ad publishing space. It is present in 9 countries with India being latest launch. It has following ways of doing location detection – wifi hotspots, cell tower, triangulation, are used first while activating GPS.
China is going to be their next geography. Cost and effort to enter new market can be taxing. Carrier, OEM, users, marketing, monetization need to be put in place, so Poynt has been using a partner to enter a new geography. In India, it found right partner in Timescity. It established relationship with OEMs like Blackberry, Samsung, Nokia, Apple. It brought global experiences and learning during launch in EU, adoption to the table. India is culturally different. Gave a leg up on competition. Globally, Poynt has 15M users, 70% of which come from North America. India is also doing significant growth rate. User retention (> 80%) in India is standing out. Nokia Lumia 700-800 devices have it preloaded in India. 85% users come from such preloaded phones. Average retention of rest of geographies is 60-70%. with the result that other OEMs are showing interest. Samsung will pre-load timesPoynt soon.
Smartphone Market in India
Currently there are 20M smartphones in India and growing at 100% rate. In first quarter of 2012, 2.5 M smartphones were sold out of a total 50.2 M. 6M smartphones were shipped in 2010. That figure grew to 12M in 2011. Mobile internet has a high uptake in emerging market like India. According to Google MD, Rajan Anandan, 40% of Google search queries in India come from mobile, which is higher than US (14%), UK (6%) and Russia(11%).
Behavior of 15-24 will not change, so when they hit 31+, internet use will become higher for that age group as well in 5-8 years. Source of data – Industry sources and reports. Newspaper articles.
Network capabilities, smartphone adoption, relationship with OEM’s are current barriers to quicker uptake of LBS apps.
iPhone Apps Stats For India
- A total of 103.29 Million iPhone apps were downloaded in India.
- 12.92 million iPhone app downloads in India in August 2011.
- Of the 12.92 million, 11.74mn were Free Apps and 1.18 million were paid.
- 20,493 new iPhone apps in India in August 2011.
- Downloads of iPhone apps with in-app purchase in India in August 2011 stood at 4.23M (32.77% of all downloads).
LBS app showcase: timesPoynt
Best of breed Data needs to meets LBS technology for the growth of LBS app. Restaurants, nightclubs, bars, events, movies and more categories need to be served. More content to make it useful to users. As a brand advertiser, how do you get involved? Banner. Dynamic and rich is challenging on 2G/Edge. Getting eyeballs, adoption is first priority. monetization will come later. What do you see it going in 1 year? Android platform growth has been phenomenal. We have barely scratched surface. Poynt is device-agnostic. So, it sees device differences in different geographies. Their main competitors are Google generic search among others. Actionable, transactionable and Hyperlocal search is the new frontier. Sometimes, demographic assumption can be made on the basis of phone. Blackberry vs iPhone user. Jaguar case study. Blackberry is communication device, not video. While iPhone is also a good video consumption device. Keeping these in mind can help to get high CTR and ROI.
पिछले साल, भारतीय रिजर्व बैंक (भारतीय रिजर्व बैंक) को मंजूरी दे दी बैंकों BCS व्यापार (संवाददाता) के रूप में लाभ के लिए कंपनियों को नियुक्त करने और यह एक दूरसंचार अंतरिक्ष में सबसे गरम बहस के बंद कर दिया है – टेल्को एक बैंक के रूप में सेवा करना चाहिए (और इसके विपरीत) . भारत, भारत के सबसे बड़े वाणिज्यिक बैंक स्टेट बैंक, भारती एयरटेल और एक संयुक्त उपक्रम (जेवी) को भारत के लाखों लोगों के लिए उपलब्ध unbanked बैंकिंग सेवाओं बनाने के समझौते में प्रवेश किया है. नवगठित इकाई, राज्य बैंक की ताकत और एयरटेल के मोबाइल टेलीफोनी की शक्ति का उपयोग करने के लिए बैंकिंग और वित्तीय सेवा क्षेत्र के लिए मूल्य जोड़ने जाएगा और आर्थिक रूप से लाखों देश में बाहर रखा करने के लिए अपनी आजीविका और जीवन की गुणवत्ता बढ़ाने के लिए सशक्त. संयुक्त उद्यम unbanked और अन्य क्षेत्रों में नागरिकों के लिए सस्ती कीमत पर ई.पू. (यानी बिजनेस संवाददाता) भारतीय स्टेट बैंक और प्रस्ताव बैंकिंग उत्पादों और सेवाओं में से एक बन जाएगा. व्यापार संवाददाता के रूप जेवी चरणबद्ध तरीके से पूरे भारत में ग्राहक सेवा अंक (सी एस पी) के रूप में एयरटेल के खुदरा विक्रेताओं संलग्न है. इस के साथ, मौजूदा और नए एयरटेल मोबाइल ग्राहकों के लिए इन दुकानों और खुले नए एसबीआई बैंक खातों और अन्य बैंकिंग उत्पादों और सेवाओं CSPs पर उपलब्ध का लाभ उठाने के यात्रा करने में सक्षम हो जाएगा. इसके अतिरिक्त, मौजूदा भारतीय स्टेट बैंक ग्राहकों को भी इन दुकानों पर सर्विस्ड मिल जाएगा.
Eko Financial Services
Eko India Financial Services Pvt Ltd is targeting unbanked rural and urban population. I heard about it first, during the visit of Bill Gates a couple of years ago. I read about it and was impressed with what they are trying to do. Founded by a BIT, Mesra alum, Abhishek Sinha, it tied up with SBI to provide mini savings account to its customers. If you go through its presentation below, you’ll be amazed at the way they have used ubiquitous mobile phone for extending the reach. In late 2009 and into 2010, Eko has begun to grow substantially rising to nearly 50,000 clients by March 2010 a ten fold increase over the quarter.
Now it has more partners, ICICI Bank and Bhart AXA Life. They have 900 centers currently and plan on increasing it to 20,000 more points by end of 2011. Their funding history:
- 2007 – $0.5 million by friends and families
- March 2009 – Grant funding of $1.78 million from CGAP Technology Program which is housed within the World Bank and co-funded by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Sep 30, 2010; Dec 31, 2010 and April 30, 2011 – Unknown from Colorado’s 4B Capital Fund A for 30% stake
CGAP – supported Eko.
HealthCampMd09 is going on right now in Maryland, but I am a part of it via UStream! Mark Scrimshire started with the keynote. He sets down the rules of the game – conversation, contribution and collaboration.
Now, Mark covers the healthcamp in this ppt.
Next is ppt from the sponsor of the event.