I registered on WordPress.com 8 years ago in Dec 2005! It was my experiment with Web 2.0, participatory web, rather than one-way web 1.0.
Thanks to WordPress for flying with me. Keep up the good tool for blogging!
Consider this fact: There are 18,000 pearl dealers in Hyderabad. But, only 3 are present in web searches. Given the fact that there are 125M internet users and 70M mobile internet users in India, there is a missed opportunity for these businesses.
- Users: According to eMarketer reports, emerging economies saw 88% growth in internet user. There are 70M mobile internet users, which represents 60% of total internet users. In 2015, these figures will be 300M and 180M respectively. These users are moving their times from other media like TV and newspaper to mobile and internet now constituting 30% of their media consumption on an average.
- eCommerce opportunity of India will be 40B representing 6x growth over current numbers. 80% of eCommerce is projected to be travel. While, only 1/10 of total online users buy online, it will jump to 1/3 in 2015.
- Habits: On internet, a user has 7hr purchase decision time, which is only 1hr on mobiles for categories like restaurant etc.
- With growth rate of 463% between Q1, 2011 and Q1, 2012, India is among the world’s fastest growing countries in terms of mobile app sessions. Also, with increasing smartphone adoption (smartphones are expected to be ~15% of total mobile device sales in 2012, doubling from 2011), India is emerging as a potential target market for mobile apps.
Today there are almost 2 billion Internet users worldwide. In 2000, there were 361 million worldwide. But go back even farther in time and you’ll find out that back in 1995, the Internet had a worldwide user base of less than 40 million.
- The Internet user base of today is 50 times larger than it was in 1995.
- Facebook today is 15 times larger than the entire Internet was in 1995.
Some businesses enabled by internet to compete with big businesses having big marketing budget.
- Dollar Shave Club started in Jan 2011. It raised $9.8 million in Oct 2012for international expansion. A true internet company ready to disrupt gillettes and Bics Here’s the video:
- Red Tomato Pizza has come up with VIP Fridge Magnet to revolutionize home delivery of pizza. When hunger strikes, Red Tomato Pizza to rescue.
Some cool Google products are:
- Google Business Photo – Philips Light Studio, Hyderabad has piloted this.
- Apps in Google Hangout – e.g. Cacoo lets you share diagrams.
- Google+ Events leaves any event site to dust with part mode picture sharing letting attendees post and share pictures seamlessly.
- OCR and image search is baked into Google Drive.
Asian paint case study – 5k employees, 30k shops. Android platform. ERP platform.
Successfactors – As big and as old a SAAS company as Salesforce. 15m users. 3500 customers >10 yrs in cloud.
Indus SAP user group – Manish Choksi, CIO Asian Paints Ltd. is the chairman. SIG on BI, industry auto, pharma launching soon, platform. Partner summit.
Steve Lucas – Executive VP & GM, DB & Technology. sap.com/rds Rapid deployment Service improves time for SAP deployment.
Paradigm shift: 85B apps in 2016. 8B population. Big data, real time, predictive. 7.5 ZB 90% video.
Social mobile panel
Niraj Athalye. Neelam Dhawan (HP)
Sentiment analysis, intention. Asian Painting will help consumer find the right painting contractor with the help of friends. People as media – socialcasting. Personalization of software.
Decision revolution – inform, align, adapt.
BI, EPM, GRC
- Query & reporting
- Data Discovery
- Predictive analysis
3d model from right hemisphere acquisition integrated into analytics. @atul_sap
Venkatesh. Building information culture by leveraging BI. Sap ECC, dealer business management. SAP is used in all joint ventures for collaboration and monitoring as well. Business analytics is a subset of BI. SIAM competitive data, and Commodity price of steel, benchmark. Business insights. IT maturity: supplier, enabled, IT led organization. Hubble telescope into business operations and performance.
Information maturity path
- Data analysis
Infrastructure efficiency, simpler management, built-in availability, greater agility
NIC HBA teaming
Mobile Local Search is experiencing unprecedented growth in India and is poised for increased adoption in the years to come.
Globally, there 6B mobile subscribers. 1B out of which are smartphone users. We are seeing a proliferation of mobile apps. 80B apps were downloaded in year 2011. GPS is standard (97%). This is Fuelling demand for LBS technology and application. It is bringing about a paradigm shift. There is a greater demand than ever for serving relevant info based on location, be it biz listing, restaurants, reviews, events and what not. We are using mobile to shop, not just search for listings. 3 utmost important things with regard to LBS (Location Based Services) are performance, privacy and relevance.
- What performance means is to provide intuitive, fluid, and quick experience. Speed (3G, 4G) is increasing for mobile internet. 45% population is covered by 3G network. 150 countries have 3G adoption. Wifi is another ways of connecting. These high speeds enable dynamic and rich content to be delivered to mobiles. Still there are substantial users on Edge or 2G.
- Privacy – A user must be cognizant that they share location and what they want in return. There are operators, who misuse client’s location by flooding them with spam. An LBS needs to be very transparent with how they are using client data.
- Relevancy – Accurate. Evolve, constantly navigate. Easy to navigate on smartphone device. minimize time and cost. Contextual relevance – time of day. Search queries. Time of day, day of week, holiday. LBS now needs to go specific. Instead of just searching for restaurants, a user could be searching for pizza place. Getting recommendation for diff venue.
Poynt started in June 2008 as a Blackberry app in North America. It has rich listing and actions – Reserve a table, add to calendar, saving on smartphone for future reference. Local theatre, watch trailer. Actionable search experience. It continues to evolve based on billions of interactions. It is pushing itself into Ad publishing space. It is present in 9 countries with India being latest launch. It has following ways of doing location detection – wifi hotspots, cell tower, triangulation, are used first while activating GPS.
China is going to be their next geography. Cost and effort to enter new market can be taxing. Carrier, OEM, users, marketing, monetization need to be put in place, so Poynt has been using a partner to enter a new geography. In India, it found right partner in Timescity. It established relationship with OEMs like Blackberry, Samsung, Nokia, Apple. It brought global experiences and learning during launch in EU, adoption to the table. India is culturally different. Gave a leg up on competition. Globally, Poynt has 15M users, 70% of which come from North America. India is also doing significant growth rate. User retention (> 80%) in India is standing out. Nokia Lumia 700-800 devices have it preloaded in India. 85% users come from such preloaded phones. Average retention of rest of geographies is 60-70%. with the result that other OEMs are showing interest. Samsung will pre-load timesPoynt soon.
Smartphone Market in India
Currently there are 20M smartphones in India and growing at 100% rate. In first quarter of 2012, 2.5 M smartphones were sold out of a total 50.2 M. 6M smartphones were shipped in 2010. That figure grew to 12M in 2011. Mobile internet has a high uptake in emerging market like India. According to Google MD, Rajan Anandan, 40% of Google search queries in India come from mobile, which is higher than US (14%), UK (6%) and Russia(11%).
Behavior of 15-24 will not change, so when they hit 31+, internet use will become higher for that age group as well in 5-8 years. Source of data – Industry sources and reports. Newspaper articles.
Network capabilities, smartphone adoption, relationship with OEM’s are current barriers to quicker uptake of LBS apps.
iPhone Apps Stats For India
- A total of 103.29 Million iPhone apps were downloaded in India.
- 12.92 million iPhone app downloads in India in August 2011.
- Of the 12.92 million, 11.74mn were Free Apps and 1.18 million were paid.
- 20,493 new iPhone apps in India in August 2011.
- Downloads of iPhone apps with in-app purchase in India in August 2011 stood at 4.23M (32.77% of all downloads).
LBS app showcase: timesPoynt
Best of breed Data needs to meets LBS technology for the growth of LBS app. Restaurants, nightclubs, bars, events, movies and more categories need to be served. More content to make it useful to users. As a brand advertiser, how do you get involved? Banner. Dynamic and rich is challenging on 2G/Edge. Getting eyeballs, adoption is first priority. monetization will come later. What do you see it going in 1 year? Android platform growth has been phenomenal. We have barely scratched surface. Poynt is device-agnostic. So, it sees device differences in different geographies. Their main competitors are Google generic search among others. Actionable, transactionable and Hyperlocal search is the new frontier. Sometimes, demographic assumption can be made on the basis of phone. Blackberry vs iPhone user. Jaguar case study. Blackberry is communication device, not video. While iPhone is also a good video consumption device. Keeping these in mind can help to get high CTR and ROI.
The following 3 features, I love are:
- Availability of menus for all restaurants, I go to – As I mentioned above, other competing sites don’t have menus always available.
- Ability to share my favorite restaurant lists, e.g. Been There by Prasoon Jha.
- I as a user of the site should be able to add a restaurant, not just the restaurant owner.
3 features, which I dislike or new enhancements, I’d like to see are:
- When I search restaurants in a particular locality, say Malad(W), I’d want to see them on a map.
- Another feature,I’d want is private lists, which I can share only with my friends.
- I’d also like an ability to follow food editors or a favorite foodie in my neighborhood.
HealthCampMd09 is going on right now in Maryland, but I am a part of it via UStream! Mark Scrimshire started with the keynote. He sets down the rules of the game – conversation, contribution and collaboration.
Now, Mark covers the healthcamp in this ppt.
Next is ppt from the sponsor of the event.